May 9, 2023
Crunchy, crispy, chewy and creamy. Do these words appeal to you? If yes, you’ll like this salad with four Cs. Crunchy carrots, crisp arugula, chewy pistachios and creamy burrata mozzarella. Toss with a red wine vinaigrette and get ready for a light lunch or dinner.
Soak the carrot shavings in ice water for extra crunch. Make the vinaigrette ahead of time. This salad is easy to compose and easy to love.
This recipe makes two servings and may easily double for more.
My favorite red wine vinegar is Pompeiian , which deserves its fine reputation. It’s affordable and has a clean, bright taste. My dressing is emulsified with a bit of Dijon mustard and kissed with honey for contrast to the bitter arugula. Chopped fresh mint adds unexpected flavor. You can make this dressing up to one week ahead.
The shaved carrot is drained and either spun in a salad spinner or patted with a kitchen towel. The colorful strands give a pasta vibe as you devour this pretty salad. Creamy burrata is super easy to find in most stores. Salads crowned with burrata satisfy your protein needs.
Carrot Arugula Burrata Salad
recipe by Michele Humlan, The Good Eats Company
one large carrot, peeled and shaved into long thin strips with Y-peeler*
1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon creamy Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
pinch of fine sea salt
pinch of finely ground white pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
two large hands arugula
two large burrata, room temperature
2 tablespoons raw or roasted pistachios
extra fresh mint for optional garnish
* see recipe for best shaving technique
- Use Y-peeler to shave lower half of carrot, then upper half once you reach the core; eat the core as a nice snack or save for another use; carrot may be placed on chopping board to steady.
- Place carrot strips in bowl of ice water for at least one half hour.
- Drain carrot strips and either use salad spinner or dish towel to pat dry.
- While carrot sits in ice water, make vinaigrette : whisk vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, pepper, chopped mint and shallot, then whisk in olive oil (may be made one week ahead – bring to room temperature before tossing with greens).
- Toss dry carrot strips with arugula, pile onto plate, then top with burrata, pistachios and extra fresh mint if using.
- Serve immediately.