december 3, 2020
The end of year holiday rush has begun. It may look a bit different, with less store browsing, but even still there is the looming year end rush to get everything done so we can relax. Hopefully we will remember the relax part.
If you enjoy cooking, you may not mind standing over the stove for hours on end, simmering and stewing. If you’re time-starved, a sheet pan dinner is your friend. Cooks have been creating these easy one pan meals for ages, but it’s only now that you can search for Sheet Pan Dinners and come up with a whole host of options. This one’s for the carnivores although I can see that some tasty vegan sausages will easily substitute. My current favorite plant based sausage is Beyond Meat.
The Greek yogurt and dijon mustard sauce can be made several days ahead. All you need to do is turn on the oven, arrange ingredients on the sheet pan and bake. A drizzle of this brightly flavored sauce takes it from zero to sixty. It’s that little bit of garlic that gives the wow factor.
May all your days be merry and bright and bring you the relaxation you deserve. Comfort in the form of an easy homemade dinner is a start in the proper direction.
Sausage Broccolini Sheet Pan Dinner
recipe by Michele Humlan, The Good Eats Company
makes four servings
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon creamy dijon mustard
1 medium clove garlic, zested on microplane grater
extra virgin olive oil
4 Italian sausages, mild or hot
1 pound baby gold potatoes, halved
4 large shallots, peeled and cut in eighths, leaving root attached
2 large bunches broccolini, ends trimmed
freshly ground black pepper
- Sauce may be made several days ahead : combine well the yogurt, mustard and garlic; keep chilled until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, toss potatoes with ½ tablespoon olive oil and a light sprinkle of kosher salt.
- Scatter potatoes on large heavy sheet pan with sides; avoid insulated pans as they don’t get foods well roasted or well caramelized.
- In same bowl, toss shallots with ½ tablespoon oil and light salt; add to pan.
- Repeat this with the broccolini in the same bowl, oiling and lightly salting; place on pan.
- Place the sausages on the sheet pan, lightly sprinkle black pepper then bake for 20 minutes.
- Flip sausages and continue to roast all another 10-15 minutes or until vegetables have nicely caramelized surfaces.
- Serve while hot, with sauce drizzled over the plated meal.