October 5, 2023
Summer ends and I look for ways to use the tender garden herbs before first frost. This simple recipe for Shrimp Puttanesca is the Mediterranean Diet at its best. Both fresh oregano and basil work well.
All the best ingredients for puttanesca sauce are in this colorful entree. I omit anchovies and rely on jumbo shrimp as my seafood, and capers as my salty bite. Garlic is sliced for maximum flavor. If you are lucky enough to have a plethora of baby garden tomatoes, use these. One advantage of purchased tomatoes is a thicker skin which holds up to high heat roasting. I use roasted hydroponically grown grape and cherry tomatoes in cool months, too, with good success.
This is an easy seafood supper ready within thirty minutes. There are no make ahead components, so plan accordingly. The roasting pan needs to be large enough to avoid crowding. The dish makes its own light sauce which calls for a tasty base like pasta, potatoes or polenta.
recipe by Michele Humlan, The Good Eats Company
makes four servings
2 pounds grape or baby tomatoes*
½ cup black kalamata olives
¼ cup drained capers
¼ cup fresh oregano leaves (basil also good)
3 large cloves garlic, sliced paper thin
¾ teaspoon (or to taste) crushed red pepper
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound jumbo shrimp, deveined and peeled except for tail piece
extra kosher salt and extra virgin olive oil
* or three 10 ounce packs of tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scatter tomatoes on large shallow baking pan, avoiding crowding.
- Add olives, capers and oregano.
- Drizzle the 3 tablespoons olive oil over all, then sprinkle crushed red pepper and ¾ teaspoon kosher salt.
- Combine all with spatula or clean hands and bake for 20 minutes.
- While tomatoes bake, toss shrimp with a light sprinkle of kosher salt and coat lightly with more olive oil.
- Place shrimp atop roasted tomatoes and bake another 7 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Great with base of pasta, potatoes or polenta; a light sauce forms with baking which is perfect for your base.