June 8, 2023
Picnic season is here. Backyard barbecue season is in full swing. Your task is to prepare a side dish. Preferably this side dish is one everyone can enjoy. That means vegan and gluten free. Here is the perfect easy side salad. In addition, this Sugar Snap Potato Salad makes a tasty base for all manner of grilled proteins.
You gotta love ginger, however. Ginger imparts flavor, certainly, but likewise a little bit of heat. Feel free to back off on the amount of julienned fresh ginger. Pickier or more sensitive palates will love you for your restraint.
When sugar snap peas are available, especially if they are local, bring them to your table. Use them for dipping into creamy spreads, in salads and soups and in quick stir fries. Snow peas are a fine substitute for this salad if you cannot find snap peas.
Sugar Snap Potato Salad
recipe by Michele Humlan, The Good Eats Company
one pound small red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into thick slices
6 ounces raw sugar snap peas, ends trimmed if needed
1-2 level tablespoons finely julienned peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons plain rice vinegar
1 teaspoon creamy dijon mustard
½ tablespoon honey
medium clove garlic, zested with microplane grater
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place sliced potatoes with water to cover and large pinch of kosher salt in heavy two quart saucepan.
- Bring to boil, then simmer uncovered until potatoes are just tender and easily pierced with knife, about 10-12 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and cool to room temperature.
- Make dressing by whisking vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic and salt in small mixing bowl, then whisk in sesame oil (may be made ahead).
- Toss potatoes gently with dressing, snap peas and ginger, using the larger amount of ginger if you can tolerate more spicy heat.
- Salad is best on the day it is made, but flavor develops best if allowed to sit at room temp or in fridge several hours.